Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Overheard in a busy local....the 'cancer conversation'


Having had cancer and already equipped with an intense empathic sense, I can tell who is part of the 'cancer crew' whether they know it or not. Today I had lunch at my local Vietnamese Thuan Kieu (which is fab by the way ;)) and there were 2 middle-aged ladies sitting across from me; one of which I know has/had cancer.

I heard the tell-tale questions of the 'non-cancer' one; 'have you done any research into alternatives? How are you feeeeeling?' >..<  The other lady clearly had heard it all before and through gritted teeth remained cheerful and friendly to her (I can only assume) friend.

"Yes,' she said, "I've spent years researching but have gotten rather weary of it; it's been 10 years and I'm still here so I'm glad of that".
Friend lady says "Well, congratulations for all your hard work :)"

Cancer lady just smiles...and I TOTALLY wince.

I know (and I'm sure other cancer lady knows), it's nothing to do with 'hard work'; I'm sure Becca and Laura worked *extremely* hard at surviving; they just didn't manage to pull it off :/. All the millions of survivors who don't do anything different and just continue to eat crap and/or smoke and live for another 50 years post-cancer and then those, like Laura; all-natural, organic Vegan food eater, young, fit, non-smoker etc. who researched every alternative she could and despite surviving 5 recurrences; still didn't make it to 40 years old :(.
There is something epically wrong with society's perception of cancer as something which is your own fault and out of which (with 'hard work') you can get out.

So I'd just like to say this:
IF YOU GET CANCER; IT'S JUST PLAIN AND SIMPLE BAD LUCK. CANCER IS **NOT** YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU SURVIVE, YOU'RE 'LUCKY' AND IF YOU DON'T; IT'S NOT COS YOU DIDN'T 'WORK HARD ENOUGH'!!!!!! >..<

1 comment:

  1. Nice to read a cancer blogger who uses logic in her posts.

    ReplyDelete